Reporting Requirements for Lost or Stolen Prescription Pads

A physician who suspects that his or her prescription pads have been lost or stolen should take the following steps immediately:

  1. First, the theft or loss must be reported to the local law enforcement (police or sheriff’s department). A physician should make an incident report with law enforcement in order to be protected. He or she will then have proof that prescriptions written on that pad after the date the theft was reported were not written by him or her. The physician will need a law enforcement agency report number to proceed to the next step.
  2. Next, the theft or loss of any tamper-resistant prescription forms must be reported by the physician to the Department of Justice (DOJ) Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES) program. A law enforcement agency report number is required when submitting a report of lost or stolen prescription forms to CURES. This notification may be accomplished electronically by logging into the physician’s CURES account, or by emailing to obtain a report to file with the California Department of Justice; CURES Program; P.O. Box 160447; Sacramento, CA 95816. If you have additional questions or concerns regarding lost or stolen tamper-resistant prescriptions forms, please contact the CURES Program at (916) 227-4704 or email the Security Prescription Printer Program at
  3. Next, notify the California State Board of Pharmacy at The Board of Pharmacy has a webpage listing physicians whose prescription pads have been reported stolen: The webpage is available 24/7 to pharmacists, law enforcement, and the public.
  4. Physicians should also notify the Medical Board by an email to or a letter describing the circumstances and actions taken by the physician in response to the suspected theft. The letter should be written on a physician’s professional letterhead, signed, and mailed to the Medical Board of California; Central Complaint Unit; 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200; Sacramento, CA 95815.

For additional information, contact the Medical Board’s Central Complaint Unit at (800) 633-2322.