License Verification (formerly known as Letters of Good Standing)
License verifications (LV) are sent only to state and/or other country medical boards to verify the status of a license. These are required by other boards to assist them in determining if there is any reason to prohibit or delay licensure by alerting boards of past or pending disciplinary action.
There are two options available to request a license verification:
- An LV may be obtained by contacting VeriDoc. This is an online company that processes license verifications for the board. The fee is $20 and once the request is made, the LV is emailed to the other state board the next business day.
- The board will process an LV if you submit a $10 fee to the board with a written request. Upon receipt of the request and fee, a LV will be sent directly to the other state medical board. This process takes approximately 10 business days.
California State Board Examination scores will be provided by the board's Licensing Program for an additional $10 and are only available if the examination was taken prior to 1969.
Otherwise, examination score requests should be made by contacting the following agencies:
- Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) - (817) 868-4041
- National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) - (215) 590-9500
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) - (215) 386-5911