Contact the Board's Central Complaint Unit for assistance.
Toll Free: 1 (800) 633-2322
Phone: (916) 263-2382
Fax: (916) 263-2435Send a Message
Expert Reviewer Training - 2022
Registration is now open for the Medical Board of California’s (Board) current active expert reviewers to attend an expert reviewer training event. The expert reviewer opinion is the most critical component of the Board’s investigative process. Training will educate you in preparing a legally sound medical opinion.
You will gain knowledge about:
- The complete overview of Medical Board’s complaint handling process.
- The essential components of an expert opinion.
- Understanding the difference between what constitutes a simple versus extreme departure from the standard of care.
- Tips for providing effective testimony.
- In addition, participants will discuss the
Sample Case Summary and
Sample Expert Package.
NOTE: It is important to review the sample investigation case materials prior to the event in order to participate in the interactive discussion about the case and formulation of an expert opinion.
Once training is completed and sample expert opinion has been submitted and approved by the Board, experts are able to receive increased compensation of:
- $200 per hour for review/report/prep
- $250 per hour up to $2000 per day for testimony
The Medical Board is offering Expert Reviewer Training Opportunities for its Active Experts
Upcoming Training Dates:
- September 17, 2022
- October 22, 2022
9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.; CME credits offered
After registering, you will receive an e-mail acknowledgment. The registration confirmation invitation will follow within a week of registration.
Once the e-mail invitation is received, accept and add to calendar. Click on the link day of event and join by 8:45 a.m. or at least 15 minutes before the class. Future emails will be sent to the email address you provide when registering.
If you are not an active expert reviewer for the Board but you wish to attend the training event, please review the criteria to participate in the program and submit your completed application with current curriculum vitae to MBCMedicalExpertProgram@mbc.ca.gov. Upon approval of your application, an expert reviewer program analyst will guide you through the registration process.
Expert Reviewer Program
The Medical Board of California established the Expert Reviewer Program in July 1994 as an impartial and professional means by which to support the investigation and enforcement functions of the Board. Specifically, medical experts assist the Board by providing expert reviews and opinions on Board cases and conducting professional competency exams, physical exams and psychiatric exams.
Requirements for participating in the Board's program are:
- Possess a current California medical license in good standing; no prior discipline; no Accusation pending; no complaint history within the last three years;
- Board certification in one of the 24 ABMS specialties (the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the American Board of Pain Medicine, the American Board of Sleep Medicine and the American Board of Spine Surgery are also recognized) with a minimum of three years of practice in the specialty area after obtaining Board certification;
- Have an active practice (defined as at least 80 hours a month in direct patient care, clinical activity, or teaching, at least 40 hours of which is in direct patient care);
- Must be willing to testify.
Participating physicians are reimbursed $150 per hour for conducting case reviews and oral competency exams, $200 an hour for providing expert testimony, and usual and customary fees for physical or psychiatric exams.
If you are interested in providing expert reviewer services to the Medical Board of California, please mail a completed application to the address provided below. Include a current curriculum vitae and a written statement telling the Board why you would like to participate in the program.
- Medical Board of California
Expert Reviewer Program
320 Arden Avenue, Ste. 250
Glendale, CA 91203
- Susan Goetzinger, Program Analyst (818) 551-2129
- Scott Steele, Program Analyst (916) 561-8216
- Email: MBCMedicalExpertProgram@mbc.ca.gov
- Expert Reviewer Program Original Application
- Expert Reviewer Program Renewal Application (applicable to current experts only; new applicants should complete the "Expert Reviewer Program Original Application" form)
- Midwife Reviewer Program Original Application and Minimum Requirements to participate in the program
- Midwife Reviewer Program Renewal Application