Resources for Maintaining your Physician’s and Surgeon’s License
The Medical Board's Licensing Program assists licensees and registrants in maintaining and managing the status of their license or registration. As a licensee/registrant holder, you have the ability to:
- Change your name;
- Change your address;
- Change your email address;
- Change the status of your license/registration;
- Request License Verifications, Certification Letters, or Examination Scores; and
- Request a duplicate wall certificate/wallet (pocket) license.
License Verifications are letters sent to other state and/or country medical boards to verify the status of a license. These letters may be required by other boards to assist them in determining if there is any reason to prohibit or delay licensure by alerting boards of past or pending disciplinary action.
There are two options available to request a license verification:
- A License Verification may be obtained by contacting VeriDoc. This is an online company that processes license verifications for the Board. The fee is $27 and once the request is made, the License Verification is emailed to the other state board the next business day.
- A License Verification may be obtained by contacting the Board. Please note the
process takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks to complete. To request a License Verification
the following must be provided:>
- A signed and dated letter requesting the Medical Board of California produce a License Verification letter(s);
- Contact information (phone number, email address) of the person requesting the License Verification(s);
- Complete name of the licensee and the California license number of each physician for whom a License Verification is being requested;
- Complete name and address of the state and/or country medical board(s) where each letter will be sent via U.S. Mail; and
- A check made payable to the Medical Board of California for each License Verification requested, $10.00 per License Verification. Credit card payments are not accepted.
Mail the License Verification request and fees to:
Medical Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815
Contact the Board’s Consumer Information Unit with questions at:
- Toll-Free: 800-633-2322
- Phone: 916-263-2382
California State Board Examination scores will be provided for an additional $10 and are only available if the examination was taken prior to 1969.
Otherwise, examination score requests should be made by contacting the following agencies:
Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME)
Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
When informing the Medical Board of the death of a physician, you must provide a copy of the Certificate of Death or a notarized statement attesting to the physician's death. When possible, please include the physician's license number.