Contact the Board's Consumer Information Unit for assistance.
1 (800) 633-2322Send a Message
Chronic Disease Prevention Resources
SB 380 (Wright, Chapter 236, Statutes of 2011) required the Medical Board of California (Board) to convene a working group of interested parties to discuss nutrition and lifestyle behavior for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases. The working group meeting was held July 2013. This bill also required the Board to periodically disseminate information and educational material regarding the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
The purpose of this webpage is to provide a clearinghouse of information and resources for physicians and consumers regarding chronic disease prevention through nutrition and lifestyle behavior changes.
How did the entire world get this fat this fast? A user-friendly look at the science behind widespread weight increases experienced over the past 30 years. Learn where this problem is headed and how to make meaningful changes.
Find out why or why not. The jury is still out about whether e-cigarettes can help people quit smoking, and/or whether they act as a gateway to smoking tobacco, especially for teens. Concerns have been raised about chemicals used to flavor e-cigarettes and serious injuries caused by exploding e-cigarettes.
See why water is a healthier beverage choice than sodas, sports drinks, energy drinks, sweetened teas and sugar-added juice drinks. Nearly half the added sugar (as opposed to naturally-occurring sugars in fruits and milk) in U.S. diets comes from sugary drinks.
More than one in three American adults has prediabetes, which can lead to type 2 diabetes, stroke and heart attack. Evaluate your risk with this simple test. If you get a high score, ask your doctor for a blood test to check your blood sugar levels. Prediabetes can often be reversed.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association
- American Sleep Apnea Association
- American Stroke Association
- Arthritis Foundation
- CDPH’s Wellness Plan 2014
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Foundation
- Guide to Community Preventive Services
- The American College of Lifestyle Medicine (Physicians)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - healthfinder.gov
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Guide to Clinical Preventive Services
- Federal Government Nutrition Information
- Let’s Get Healthy California Task Force Final Report
- National Institute of Mental Health
- National Institutes of Health
- Nutrition CME Information (Physicians)
- Obesity Action Coalition
- Physicians’ Committee for Responsible Medicine (Physicians)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services - health.gov
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
- USDA Choose My Plate
- World Health Organization
Healthy Living Archived Presentation Materials
- Let's Get
Healthy California Task Force Report and California Wellness Plan
Physician Vitality Across the Career
Building a Social Movement Around Health and Wellness: The UCLA Healthy Campus Initiative
Let us know what you think
Was this resource helpful? Please e-mail your comments and questions to the Board's Public Information Officer, Emmalee Ross.