The Medical Board is offering Expert Reviewer Training Opportunities for its Active
October 17, 2020
(9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.; CME credits offered)
November 7, 2020
If you are not an active expert reviewer for the Board but you wish to attend
the training event, please review the criteria to participate in the program
submit your completed application with current curriculum vitae to
Upon approval of your application, an expert reviewer program analyst will guide
you through the registration process.
Expert Reviewer Program
The Medical Board of California established the Expert Reviewer Program in July
1994 as an impartial and professional means by which to support the investigation
and enforcement functions of the Board. Specifically, medical experts assist the
Board by providing expert reviews and opinions on Board cases and conducting professional
competency exams, physical exams and psychiatric exams.
Requirements for participating in the Board's program are:
- Possess a current California medical license in good standing; no prior discipline;
no Accusation pending; no complaint history within the last three years;
- Board certification in one of the 24 ABMS specialties (the American Board of Facial
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the American Board of Pain Medicine, the American
Board of Sleep Medicine and the American Board of Spine Surgery are also recognized)
with a minimum of three years of practice in the specialty area after obtaining
- Have an active practice (defined as at least 80 hours a month in direct patient
care, clinical activity, or teaching, at least 40 hours of which is in direct patient
- Must be willing to testify.
Participating physicians are reimbursed $150 per hour for conducting case reviews
and oral competency exams, $200 an hour for providing expert testimony, and usual
and customary fees for physical or psychiatric exams.
If you are interested in providing expert reviewer services to the Medical Board
of California, please mail a completed application to the address provided below.
Include a current curriculum vitae and a written statement telling the Board why
you would like to participate in the program.
- Medical Board of California
Expert Reviewer Program
320 Arden Avenue, Ste. 250
Glendale, CA 91203
- Susan Goetzinger, Program Analyst (818) 551-2129
- Scott Steele, Program Analyst (916) 561-8216
- Email: MBCMedicalExpertProgram@mbc.ca.gov
Expert Reviewer Program Brochure:
Expert Reviewer Program Podcast:
- Episode 6 – Medical Board of California Expert Reviewer Podcast