Fictitious Name Permit Renewal

In California, Fictitious Name Permits must be renewed every two years. It a violation of the Medical Practice Act to practice under a fictitious name with an expired permit. The permit expires at midnight on the expiration date.

Currently, Fictitious Name Permit Holders are unable to renew their permits online. Permit Holders must renew by mail.

When renewing by mail, the renewal must be on the Board's renewal form, and must include the current renewal fee and any delinquent fees. Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing. If a renewal notice is not received, the permit must still be renewed before the expiration date on the permit.

Forms, information about current renewal fees, and requirements may be obtained by contacting:

Medical Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815
(916) 263-2382 or (800) 633-2322

General Information

Disciplinary Action Disclosure:

When renewing, each licensee must disclose whether they have had any license disciplined by a government agency or other disciplinary body, or, have been convicted of any crime in any state, the USA and its territories, military court or a foreign country. License includes permits, registrations and certificates.

Conviction includes a plea of no contest and any conviction that has been set aside or deferred pursuant to sections 1000 or 1203.4 of the Penal Code, including infractions, misdemeanor, and felonies. You do not need to report a conviction for an infraction with a fine of less than $300 unless the infraction involved alcohol or controlled substances.

Discipline includes, but is not limited to, suspension, revocation, voluntary surrender, probation, or any other restriction.

For additional information, please contact the Medical Board's Consumer Information Unit:

  • Toll-Free: 1-800-633-2322
  • Phone: (916) 263-2382
  • Fax: (916) 263-2435

Renewal Restrictions:

You may not be able to renew your license if you have been identified to have outstanding tax obligations or family support issues.

Failure to Renew:

Any physician and surgeon or doctor of podiatric medicine practicing under a fictitious name without a valid permit may lead to disciplinary action against the individual licensees.

There is no grace period; if a permit has not been renewed within 30 days following the expiration date, the Licensing Program will notify the permit holder by mail. The date a permit expires, the status is changed to "delinquent" if the renewal application and fees due are not received.

If a permit is renewed more than 30 days following the expiration date, the permit holder is required to pay additional fees.

After a permit has been in "delinquent" status for five years, the permit is automatically canceled. A canceled permit may not be reactivated. The permit holder must apply for a new permit and meet the current permit requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • How often do I need to renew my fictitious name permit?
    The fictitious name permit needs to be renewed every two years.
  • How do I renew my current permit?
    Approximately 90 days before the permit expires, you will receive a renewal notice in the mail. Payment of the renewal fee and completion of the permit renewal application are required for renewal. If you do not receive your notice or have lost the notice, you may use the form titled Fictitious Name Permit Notification of Renewal/Hold/Release.

    To check the status of your permit, click on Name Search for Fictitious Name Permit.

    To ensure timely receipt of renewal applications, always keep the Board informed of any address changes. It is the responsibility of the permit holder(s) to renew the registration whether a notice has been received or not.
  • I did not receive my renewal notice because my address changed, thus causing my renewal payment to be more than 30 days delinquent. Do I have to pay the delinquent fee?
    Yes. Whether or not you receive a renewal notice, you are still responsible for submitting the renewal fee on time. Also, permit holders are required by law to notify the Medical Board in writing within 30 days of a change of address.
  • Why do I have to pay?
    California law requires that to maintain an active, current permit, the permit holder(s) must pay the full biennial renewal fee at the time of registration renewal.
  • I'm leaving the country. Can I pay my renewal fee ahead of time?
    The renewal must be paid within the 90 days prior to the expiration of the permit.
  • What if I am no longer using the permit and choose not to renew it?
    If the permit is not renewed, it will fall into delinquent status. If the permit has not been renewed for five years, the system is programmed to automatically cancel the permit as required by law. The owner of the permit has the option of submitting an Application for Cancellation of a Fictitious Name Permit at any time. No fee is charged to cancel the permit.
  • What if I have paid the renewal fees on my current permit but did not receive a new permit?
    You may have had a change of address or failed to complete the renewal form in its entirety. When this happens, the fees are still collected by the cashiering unit, but a hold may be placed on the permit. This insures that the new permit is not mailed to an incorrect address and that an unauthorized person has not signed for the renewal of the permit. Please see next question.
  • What should I do if a hold has been placed on my permit?
    Complete and mail to the Board the form entitled, Fictitious Name Permit Notification of Renewal/Hold Release. The form must be signed by a physician who is recognized by the Board as being a current owner.

Renewal Fees:

The renewal fee for a Fictitious Name Permit is $40.00. The renewed permit is valid for two years.

Delinquent Fees: In addition to the renewal fee, a delinquent fee of $20 will be added if payment is not received within 30 days following the expiration date of the permit.

Expired Registrations: The Board will need to determine the correct renewal and delinquent fees. Please contact the Board at (800) 633-2322 or (916) 263-2382 to obtain the current amount you will need to pay.