Frequently Asked Questions - Military Information

Who is eligible to apply for the military exemption status?

Any physician engaged in full-time training or active service in the Armed Forces of the United States Public Health Service may be eligible for exemption from payment of the renewal fees.

Back to Top

Is there a fee to apply for military status?

If you are renewing at the same time as you apply for military status, you must submit the $25.00 mandatory fee for the Physician Loan Repayment Program and the $12.00 mandatory fee for the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System / Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (CURES/PDMP) with the application.

If the license is current, no fee is required.

Back to Top

What if my license is delinquent?

If the medical license is delinquent, a payment of all accrued renewal fees, delinquent fee, the $25.00 and $12.00 mandatory fees, and penalty fee must be submitted with the application. Please contact the Board at (800) 633-2322 or (916) 263-2382 for information on delinquent fees due.

Back to Top

Can a physician on military status engage in private practice?

No. Anyone receiving a military exemption may not engage in any private practice.

Back to Top

Does the military exemption give me a restricted license?

Yes. The military status license is a restricted license because the physician can practice only on a military base.

Back to Top

I have a California license but I am currently in the military. Can I be exempted from continuing medical education (CME) requirements?

The law requires that every military physician comply with the CME requirement. However, reasons of war or being aboard ship for extended periods of time (several years), which preclude a physician from participating in any CME will be considered. An application for a continuing medical education waiver may be submitted to the Medical Board. You may contact the Consumer Information Unit at (800) 633-2322 or (916) 263-2382 to request an application. The application for continuing medical education waiver also is available on the Board's website.

Back to Top

Will I receive a new license reflecting the exempt military status?

Yes. Upon approval of the application for military exemption, a new pocket license reflecting military status will be issued.

Back to Top

How does a physician come out of military status?

The physician must complete the "Application to Restore License to Full Active Status from Inactive, Disabled or Fee Exempt Status or from Disabled Status to Active Status with Limitations on Practice", and pay the full renewal fee.

If the physician was granted a continuing medical education waiver, he or she must also document completion of 50 hours of continuing medical education (CME) within the past two years. The documentation must be submitted with the application. Acceptable documents are letters or certificates of attendance that show completion of CME courses, with the name of the provider, the name and date of the course, the number of approved CME hours completed, and your name as the participant. If you do not have the documentation, you must contact the provider of the CME courses you have participated in and request verification.

For licenses issued after July 1, 2018, the license expires at midnight on the expiration date, which is the last day of the month in which it was issued. For licenses issued before July 1, 2018, the license expires at midnight on the expiration date, which is the last day of the physician’s birth month.

Back to Top

How long do I have to notify the Board after I am discharged from military service?

The Board must be notified in writing within 60 days of discharge to avoid penalty or delinquent fees.

Back to Top