Frequently Asked Questions - Social Security Numbers, Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers, or Federal Employer Identification Numbers

Am I required to provide a Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) to the Medical Board?

Yes. State law requires a physician to provide an SSN, ITIN, or FEIN to the Board as a condition of licensure. Individual license types require an SSN or ITIN. An FEIN may only be used for a business entity or Fictitious Name Permit.

Back to Top

What does the Board use my SSN, ITIN, or FEIN number for?

Your SSN, ITIN, or FEIN will be used for tax enforcement purposes, for purpose of compliance with any judgment or order for family support in accordance with the law, or for verification of licensure or examination status by a licensing examination entity which utilizes a national examination and where licensure is reciprocal with the requesting state.

Back to Top

What will happen if I do not provide my SSN, ITIN, or FEIN to the Board?

If you fail to disclose your SSN, ITIN, or FEIN, your application will not be processed and you will be reported to the Franchise Tax Board, which may assess a $100 penalty against you.

Back to Top